ECIRMAC (also known as the Refugee Center) exists to provide services essential to refugee and immigrant resettlement in East-Central Illinois and to aid in the exchange and preservation of their respective cultures. As an organization, we believe in the inherent worth of all human beings, regardless of nationality, ethnicity, religion, race, or cultural heritage. We similarly believe that it is possible and desirable for all human beings to live peacefully together, and to work together to create a more loving and compassionate world in which everyone's basic human needs and rights can be secured. Among the many services offered are:
- Translation of documents and interpretation in community settings
- Advocate and liaison in clients' places of employment, schools, hospitals, courts, with landlords, etc.
- Aid in completing paperwork for citizenship, asylum, residency, family reunification, etc.
- Assistance with applying for government benefits for which an individual is eligible
- Case management and counseling
- Referrals to community resources
- Tutoring and intercultural socialization for school aged children
Services are regularly offered in English, Spanish, French, Vietnamese, Cantonese, Mandarin and Russian. Other languages can be accommodated with advanced notice.